This is a healthy, lower fat way to start the day because lentils pack a ton of protein. When you look at the nutrition for 1 cup of lentils, it provides 50g of protein! The breakfast sausage adds flavor and the sunny side up eggs creates a sauce.
Sausage and Lentil Hash
- 1 cup Lentil
- 4 Egg
- 4 Sausage patties
- 1 clove Garlic
- .75 T Onion powder
- 1.5 TB Butter
- .75 Chicken broth
- 1 T Salt
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add lentils. Cook for 20 minutes.
- While lentils are cooking, add the sausage to a cold pan, turn to medium heat and cook until no longer pink. About 10-15 minutes.
- Drain all but 1 TB of the sausage fat from the pan, then add the cooked lentils, garlic and onion powder to the sausage and mix. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth and reduce heat to low. You'll let this sit over low until you're done with the eggs.
- Add the butter to a pan over medium heat. Add the eggs and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for about 5-8 minutes. You want the egg whites to set and not be translucent on the top, but not cooked enough that the yolks start getting white.
- To plate, scoop a serving of the lentil hash onto a plate, then slide an egg over top. Done!