Brown rice is a wonderful ingredient because it can be used in so many different cuisines. This recipe is used it instead of pasta in mac and cheese. I add a little bacon to create a crunch, and because bacon is real good. I hope you enjoy!
Cheesy Bacon Brown Rice
- 1 Cup Brown Rice cooked according to package
- 5 slices Bacon
- 1 1/2 TB Butter
- 1 TB Bacon drippings
- 2 TB Flour
- 2 1/4 Cups Milk
- 3 slices American cheese
- 1/3 cup Parmesan
- ½ T Salt
- Place bacon in a cold pan, then turn the heat to medium. Cook for 7-10 minutes, flipping a couple times.
- Place the bacon aside, then strain the bacon drippings, saving 1 TB.
- Add butter and bacon drippings to a medium pan over medium heat, and melt the butter.
- Add flour and mix into the butter/drippings. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add milk and whisk to incorporate, then add the cheese. Simmer for about 3-5 minutes until it thickens.
- Add the rice and salt, then mix well to coat. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Serve with crumbled bacon on top.