When Taco Bell stopped making their cheesy potatoes, I was devastated. For years I would complain, but then, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I think this is a spot on match to what the potatoes use to be. I hope you enjoy and let me know if there's any recipes you want me to recreate!
Mexican Fried Potatoes (similar to a certain fast food restaurant use to make)
- 3 large potatoes cut into cubes, a little bigger than ½ inch
- 1/3 Cup Flour
- 1 T Chili powder
- ¼ T Garlic salt
- Oil for frying
- 1 Cup Cheese sauce I like Chi-Chi's
- 6 Green onion chopped
- ½ Cup Sour cream
- In a large pot, such as a Dutch oven, add your oil and heat to 325 degrees.
- Mix the flour, chili powder and garlic salt into a large bowl.
- Add the potatoes to the oil and fry for 8 minutes.
- Drain the oil from the potatoes, then add to the flour bowl and mix well to coat all potatoes. Then put the potatoes back into the oil. Fry until the potatoes are golden brown and tender. Maybe another 5-10 minutes.
- Scoop out the potatoes and place on a wire rack, sprinkle with salt.
- To serve, scoop some potatoes into a bowl, drizzle with the cheese sauce, sprinkle on the green onion and have the sour cream on the side.