Filling jumbo shells with ricotta, sausage and mushrooms is a great way to please your family of guests. I like to use fresh ricotta, which I usually find at the dairy/cheese counter. If your store doesn't have it, making ricotta is a simple process (way easier than mozzarella in my opinion), and the payoff is huge. Store bought ricotta is gritty and I don't care for it, but fresh/homemade is smooth and creamy, and a perfect addition to stuffed shells. I hope you enjoy!
- 12 oz Barilla Jumbo Shells
- 1 TB Olive Oil
- 3/4 lb Italian Sausage
- 8 oz White Mushrooms diced
- 1/2 T Oregano
- 1 T Salt
- 1 cup Fresh Ricotta
- 1 3/4 Cup Mozzarella
- 1 Cup Parmesan fresh grated
- 2 Cups Marinara your favorite
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the shells. Cook according to package.
- Heat a large pan over medium and add olive oil. Allow oil to warm for a minute, then add the sausage. Brown, breaking up with a spatula, for 7 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, oregano and 1/2 T of salt. Cook another 4-5 minutes. When done, remove from heat and set aside. Allow to cool.
- Getting the pasta ready. I typically like to cool the water down by pouring off hot water, then adding cold water. This keeps the shells from sticking without the need to add any fat. To do this, drain about 2/3 thirds of the water, then add the same amount of cold water back to the pot. Pour off as much as you can without losing any shells, then add cold water. Repeat a couple times. Once you can safely touch a shell, you're good (just make sure you don't burn yourself checking!) Let sit while you finish the filling.
- In a large bowl, add the ricotta, parmesan and 1 cup of the mozzarella. Stir to mix well. Add salt to season.
- Add the cooled Italian sausage and mushroom mix to the cheese and mix well.
- To assemble, spray a lasagna (or casserole) dish with cooking spray, then add a layer of marinara to the bottom (about 1 cup). One shell at a time, scoop some of the filling from the bowl and stuff into a shell. You don't want to add too much filling, maybe 1-2 tablespoons each. Place the shells in the dish, in a single layer.
- Drizzle the remaining cup of marinara over the shells, then add the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Put into the oven and bake for 25 minutes.