I always thought that congee was somewhat similar to a risotto (or maybe a cross between risotto and polenta), just a little creamier from being cooked down longer. I had some leftover rice and thought, why not do a congee chicken parm. The rice creates a smooth and creamy base for the chicken. Adding the cheese on top to melt was the best part of the dish (I love cheese, sorry waistline, but I do.)
Chicken Parmesan Congee
- 1 Cup Rice leftover
- 1 ½ cup Chicken broth
- ½ cup Tomato sauce
- ¼ T Garlic salt
- ¼ T Salt
- ¼ T Oregano
- ¼ T Basil
- 1 T Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella
- 6 Frozen Chicken Tenders I like Tyson Crispy Chicken Strips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add all ingredients except for the chicken tenders and mozzarella to a pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes.
- Cook tenders for 15 – 20 minutes, or according to package.
- Pour the congee into a oven safe bowl, then add a layer of mozzarella and place in the oven to melt the cheese.
- Add a couple tenders to the top and serve.