Puttanesca is a classic Italian sauce that includes anchovies and black olives. I like using canned anchovies to really get that rich umami flavor incorporated into the red sauce.
- 1 TB Olive oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 29 Oz. Tomato sauce
- 3 Filets Anchovy or 1 T anchovy paste
- 6 Oz. Kalamata olives
- ½ T Basil dried
- ½ T Oregano dried
- ¼ T Salt
- 1 lb Pasta
- 2 TB Butter
- Bring pot of water to a boil.
- Open can of anchovies and remove hairs. With a knife, cut and mash (with the side of your blade) the anchovies until it forms a paste.
- Heat large pan over medium, add olive oil and allow to warm for 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato sauce, anchovies, salt, basil, oregano and olives to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Add pasta to the water and cook according to the package. Drain pasta and return to the pot with the butter.
- To serve, plate a portion of the pasta and cover with the puttanesca sauce.
Calories: 623kcal | Carbohydrates: 99g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 2236mg | Potassium: 972mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1248IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 91mg | Iron: 4mg