I love this recipe! This is a true Midwest meal, something my mom would make a lot. While the plate needs to be dressed up with some veggies for color, it is a fast weeknight meal.The meal almost reminds me of a more basic salisbury steak.
Mashed Potatoes with Meat Gravy
- 1 My Mother's Mashed Potato Recipe or a store bought package
- 1 Onion small
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 ¼ lb Ground beef 90/10
- 2 TB Flour
- 1 Cup Milk
- ½ Cup Beef broth
- ½ T Thyme fresh
- ½ T Salt
- ¼ T Pepper
- Heat a large pan over medium, and add the beef. Breakup the meat with a utensil and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add onion and cook for another 7 minutes, or until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add flour and mix into the meat so it’s coated.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and stir. Cook for another 5-8 minutes, until the sauce has thickened to a gravy-like consistency.
- On each plate, make a well out of the mashed potatoes, then ladle a scoop of the meat sauce into the well.
- I always serve mine with broccoli, but anything to add some color to the plate works.