My mother's brisket is something that she would make around Christmas time every year. Just thinking about the brisket with the onion gravy is mouthwatering. I hope you really enjoy this meal, after losing my mother this year, it is truly a special meal.
My Mother's Brisket and Gravy
- 3 Cups water
- 4 lb Brisket
- 2 TB oil
- 1 T Salt
- 1 T Pepper
- 1 Packet Lipton Onion Sauce/dipping mix
- 1 Packet Lipton Beefy Onion Sauce/dipping mix
- 2 Cups water
- 1/3 Cup Milk
- 1 TB Flour
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat large heavy bottom pan, like a dutch oven, over medium heat. Add oil.
- Season the brisket with salt and pepper, then add the meat to the pan. Sear for 4-5 minutes, then flip and sear the other side for 4-5 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the soup mixes with 3 cups of water. Pour into the pan with the brisket.
- Cover, place in the oven and cook until fork tender, about 2 hours. The remaining 2 cups of water are in case the liquid begins to evaporate, add a little more water if that is the case.
- Remove from oven and place brisket on a cutting board. Tent the meat to keep warm.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk the flour and milk together, to make a slurry. Slowly add the slurry to the drippings and cook until the gravy thickens.
- Slice the pork into 1/2 inch sections and serve with the gravy.