I thought of making black forest crepes right after I finished eating a piece of black forest cake. I remembered feeling a little guilty about going back for seconds, but I love cherry and chocolate together. So, I thought what other way could I enjoy that same flavor, but not as many calories. Crepes! By adding cocoa powder to the crepe batter and then adding the cherry topping, I was able to create an tasty and easy breakfast. The cream cheese filling provides the richness that the cake’s frosting typically does, so I think it came together well. I hope you enjoy!
Black Forest Crepes
- 2 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Milk Use Soy milk if dairy free
- 1 Cup Water
- 3 Tablespoons Butter Smart balance if dairy free
- 1 Teaspoon of salt
- 4 Eggs
- 1 TB Cocoa Powder
- 4 Oz Cream Cheese Tofutti Cream Cheese if dairy free
- 1 T Vanilla
- 1 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 TB Powdered sugar
- 1 Cup Cherry pie filling
- Add batter ingredients to the blender and mix well.
- Heat a medium sized pan over medium and spray with a little cooking oil. I've found that after you spray the pan for the first crepe, you don't need to spray again. But that first time, definitely spray. Spoon some batter (about 1/3 cup) onto the pan and twirl so that the batter coats the bottom.
- Wait until it doesn’t look “wet” anymore, about 2 minutes, and then flip.
- After another 1 minute, slide off onto a plate and get ready to add the filling.
- For the filling, place vanilla and cream cheese in a bowl and beat with a hand mixer on low for 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar and beat with the hand mixer for 1 minute. The powdered sugar will dust up, so just be aware of that. Gradually add the rest of the powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Lay one of the crepes on a plate and add a line of filling down the center of the crepe.
- Roll the crepe into a log.
- To serve, spoon on some of the cherry pie filling and dust with a little powdered sugar. Enjoy!