Acorn squash is perfect way to enjoy fall flavors. It has a mild flavor that will add a little creaminess to the risotto. The health benefits of the squash (high fiber, high vitamin C and B) will help keep you healthy going into the winter months. I hope you enjoy!
Acorn Squash Risotto
- 1 Cup Arborio rice
- 1 Acorn squash peeled, seeds scooped and cut into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ Cup Onion diced
- 1 ½ TB Olive oil
- 6 Cups Vegetable broth
- 2 TB Butter
- ½ T Salt
- 1 Cup Parmesan
- 3 Cups Kale chopped into small pieces
- 3/4 Cup White wine
- 1/4 T Oregano
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- To roast the squash, place on a baking sheet and cover them with ½ T salt and ½ TB vegetable oil. Bake in an over for 20 minutes.
- in a large pot, add the broth with the oregano and heat until warm.
- Heat a large pan over medium and add the olive oil. Heat oil for a few minutes.
- Add onion and cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Add the rice and coat in the oil. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the white wine and cook for 2-3 minutes, reducing the liquid almost completely.
- Ladle the broth, 1 cup at a time, into the rice. Stir after each ladle and let the rice absorb almost all the liquid each time. Repeat this process until all liquid is absorbed into the rice, adding the squash and kale with the 4th cup of liquid. This process should take 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the rice from the heat, then add the parmesan and butter. Stir well to combine.