My Taco meatballs with Enchilada farro is a healthy option for those craving a Mexican/Southwest dinner. The meatballs are made with ground turkey and the farro is a healthy grain, providing a gut healthy meal.
Taco Meatballs with Southwest Farro
- 1.5 lb. Ground turkey
- 1 oz. Taco seasoning
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 Cup Cheddar cheese
- 2 TB Ketchup
- ½ T Salt
- 1/3 Cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 Cup Farro
- 3/4 Cup Beef broth
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 19 oz. Enchilada sauce
- 2 Cup Lettuce shredded
- 1 Cup Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 Cup Sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the ketchup, taco seasoning, salt, egg and cheddar cheese into a bowl and mix to combine. This is so all that flavor is evenly mixed in the meat.
- Add the breadcrumbs, mix and then add the meat. Mix all ingredients with your hands.
- Form the meat into Ping-Pong sized meatballs, placing them on a cookie sheet.
- Put the meatballs into the oven and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and turn, then return to oven for another 5-8 minutes.
- Pour broth and water in a large pan and bring to a boil.
- Add farro and enchilada sauce, reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Add meatballs to the farro and cook another 5 minutes.
- Remove to a plate and serve with cheese, lettuce and sour cream.
For the chipotle, you would empty a small can (5 or 7 oz.) of chipotle in adobo sauce into a blender and turn onto high. Once smooth, then it's good to use in your mayo.
Calories: 709kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 61g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 189mg | Sodium: 3282mg | Potassium: 851mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 2441IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 355mg | Iron: 5mg