This is a classic pizza for our house. We grow so much basil during the year, we use it for everything. This pizza has a bright and fresh flavor, and the chewy crunch you get from the grilled dough is phenomenal. I hope you enjoy and thanks for stopping by!
If you're looking for a quick weeknight meal, get store bought roast peppers, store bought pesto and a store bought dough.
Roasted Red Pepper Pesto Feta Pizza
- ½ Pizza dough recipe
- 2/3 Cups pesto recipe
- 2 T Vegetable oil
- ½ T Salt
- 2 Red bell peppers
- 3 Ounces Feta
- Fried onions
- ½ T Salt
- Start with the dough recipe below. When there’s about 20 minutes left on the resting time for the dough, start the pepper.
- To roast the red peppers, you are going to cook them over an open flame, or under the broiler. Turn on your grill, gas cooktop or broiler to medium.
- Cover the red pepper with a thin layer of oil and stick right on to the grates of the gas burner/grill, or place them on a cookie sheet, and place under broiler. Use a set of tongs to turn the red pepper as it cooks. Cook for 10 – 15 minutes until all of the pepper’s skin is charred.
- Remove to a plate and let sit to cool. After it has cooled, start peeling away the charred skin under running water.
- Cut the pepper and remove the core and seed. Cut into strips. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- For the dough, first lay out a couple pieces of plastic wrap on your work surface, and then flour it. This wrap will help aid the transfer of the pizza to the grill.
- On the plastic wrap, roll out the dough to a size that will fit your grill.
- Brush the dough with the oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Slide your hand under the plastic, lift and carry the dough out to the grill.
- This part is tricky! In a quick motion, place the dough on the grilled (heated to a medium heat) and quickly pull back the plastic (before it sticks to the grill.)
- Leave on the grill until you can see the grill makes have formed on the bottom. About 5 minutes. Brush the side facing up with oil and then flip. Cook another 5 minutes.
- Remove from grill onto a baking sheet.
- Spread a generous layer of pesto on top of the pizza dough then layer on your toppings. Bake for 10 minutes and then remove from oven.
- That’s it! I hope you enjoy!
Here is my pizza dough recipe!
- 5 T Dry Active Yeast About 2 Packets
- 1 ¼ Cups water heated to 115 degrees
- 3 ½ Cups Flour
- 2 ½ TB Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp olive oil
- Combine yeast and water to a bowl. Wait 5 – 7 minutes to proof (the mixture should foam). If it doesn’t foam after 5 minutes, sprinkle in ½ tsp of sugar to encourage it.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl, half at a time, and mix with a wooden spoon mix until the dough starts to come together.
- Place the dough onto your work surface and knead for six to seven minutes, being very thorough and firm. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic (but not sticky.)
- Place dough in a bowl and cover with a teaspoon of olive oil. Turn the ball so it gets coated in the oil completely.
- Place bowl in a warm area to let proof for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours (it will double in size.) I always proof in my oven at 95 degrees.
- Now it's good to use for any pizza (or pizza-like recipe!)
And my Pesto recipe!
- 1 Cup Basil lightly packed - about 1.5 ounces
- 1 Oz Pine nuts 2-3 Tablespoons
- 1/3 Cup Parmesan
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- Start by toasting the pine nuts over medium heat until they have some color, 5-7 minutes.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend for 1 minute.
- And that's it!! Plate your favorite pasta and add the pesto. I like to sprinkle a little parmesan on top. I hope you enjoy!!!