Are you having a spring get together, and you need a fun treat? Try this one! While yes, it is not what you would consider healthy (puff pastry, cheese and butter sauce), but you're not making a meal out of it, your simply having a small dish with you glass of wine. So spoil yourself and your friends with this wonderfully spring hors d'oeuvre.
Asparagus Puff Pastry with Lemon Butter Sauce
- 1 Shallot
- Asparagus Thin and cut into 1 Inch sections
- 1 Puff pastry dough
- 1-2 TB Olive oil
- 1 T Salt
- 4 Oz. Goat Cheese
Lemon Butter Sauce
- 1 Shallot Diced
- 1 Cup White Wine
- 2 Bay leaves
- ½ TB Flour
- 4 TB Butter
- 2 inch Lemon Peel
- 4 TB Chicken Broth
- ½ T Salt
- Remove puff pastry from the freezer and let thaw for an hour.
- Unfold the pastry and cut into 3 length wise sections. The pastry is usually folded into 3 sections, so I typically cut at the seams.
- Lay on a floured surface, flour the top and then roll slightly to thin.
- Put into the oven at 400 degrees for 12 minutes.
- Mix the asparagus with the shallots. Drizzle with oil, then salt and pepper.
- Arrange asparagus/shallots in one layer on a baking sheet.
- Put baking sheet in the oven for 15 minutes at 400.
- Remove the pastry and let cool for 10 minutes.
- With a fork, mix the goat cheese in a bowl to loosen, add ½ TB of water if necessary, which will make it easier to spread.
- Spread the goat on the cooked pastry.
- Add the asparagus mix on top of the goat cheese spread.
- Cut the pastry into segments, and serve with lemon butter sauce.
Lemon Butter Sauce
- Add white wine, shallots and lemon peel to a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, melt butter.
- Add water and flour to the butter and mix until there are no lumps remaining. Slowly whisk the slurry into the wine reduction.
- The sauce will thicken as you cook, for another 5 minutes.