Carnitas are a great year round meal. It’s a nice summer time treat to enjoy on the patio, and it can be a hearty meal in the cold winter months. For me, I love the flavor of the pork mixed with a bunch of bright toppings. The corn tortilla heated over a gas stove (or your grill) is so satisfying that I really don’t care how much arm hair I singe warming them up. I hope you enjoy and don’t forget to write to me with any requests.
Smoked Pulled Pork Carnitas
Pork & Rub
- 8 lb Pork Shoulder
- 1 TB paprika
- 1 TB Chili Powder
- 1 TB garlic powder
- 1 TB salt
- ½ TB Cumin
- 1 T ground ginger
- 1 T onion powder
- 1 T ground pepper
Tortilla & Toppings
- 25 oz Corn Tortilla This is the 30 ct package, which would give each person 3 tacos
- 8 oz Grape (or cherry) Tomatoes
- 12 oz Cotija cheese
- 1 Lime
- 1 Cup Salsa
- 1/2 Head Lettuce Finely chopped
- Remove pork from its wrapper and pat dry with paper towels.
- Mix seasonings in a bowl, then separate into 2 even amounts.
- Cut pork into 5 to 6 even chunks.
- Coat with half of the seasoning and place in the fridge until you're ready to add to the smoker box. This can be done in the morning or right before smoking, whatever your timeline is.
- Heat your grill to 240 degrees.
- Put a disposable foil tray with 2 cups of water on the grates.
- Assemble the smoker box. Add wood chips to the bottom of the smoker box, insert the metal grate, place pork onto the grate, and then add the cover.
- Position the smoker on the grill. Try to position so it’s not over the active burners, but it’s fine if it is.
- Cook for 2 hours.
- Bring pork inside and shred each piece with two forks.
- Heat large pan to medium high heat. Add oil and heat for 2 minutes.
- Mix pork and remaining seasoning in a large bowl.
- Add meat to the pan. Press into a single layer and try not to move. The goal for this step is to crisp up some of the pork. Cook for 5-7 minutes. Remove to a serving dish.
- For the tortilla, remove from package and place on grill (or gas cooktop). Cook for 2-3 minutes, then flip over and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. You want them to char slightly.
- Serve each tortilla with the toppings listed above, and enjoy!