Spaghetti with lentil bolognese is a dish I created because I wanted to use lentils in a different way. The lentils are a pretty blank canvas so they absorbed a ton of flavor while cooking. For those of you not into lentils, I would say this is a good intro. If you wanted an even more healthy option, you can leave out the pasta and just enjoy the lentil bolognese by itself with a salad. I hope you like it!
Spaghetti with Lentil Bolognese
- 1 lb Spaghetti
- ¾ Cup Lentil
- 2 Carrots small - diced
- 1 Onion small - diced
- 2 stalks Celery
- 28 oz Tomato Sauce
- ½ Cup Milk
- 2/3 Cup Red wine
- 1 T Basil dried
- ½ T Oregano dried
- ½ TB Sugar
- 1 T Salt
- ½ T Worcestershire sauce
- ½ Cup Chicken broth
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 TB Butter
- Heat large pot/pan, like a dutch oven, over medium heat.
- Add oil and warm for a couple minutes.
- Add onions, carrots and celery to the pan and saute for 6-8 minutes.
- Dump the veggies into a food processor and buzz until almost smooth. Then return to the pan with the garlic.
- Add red wine and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce sugar, oregano, basil, salt, and worcestershire sauce. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add lentils and milk to the pan and cook an additional 25 minutes uncovered.
- Add butter and turn off heat, swirling the butter until dissolved.
- Serve with pasta and fresh parm!