I love making chicken cordon blue, but sometimes I don’t feel like pounding out the chicken, rolling and frying the roll of ham and Swiss cheese. In cases like this, where you still want that wonderful flavor, you can enjoy the meal as a Midwest staple. Here is the Midwest, we eat hot dish a lot. For those not familiar, it’s a casserole topped with tater tots. I always look at it as the American version of Sheppard’s pie. You’ll cook some diced chicken, add some diced ham and cover with Swiss cheese and tater tots. Trust me, it’s a perfect winter meal!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Hot Dish
- 1 Can Cream of chicken Soup
- ¾ Bag Tater tots
- 2 Cups Ham diced
- 2 Chicken breast
- ½ Cup Milk
- 2 Cups Swiss cheese
- 1 ½ TB Butter
- ½ T Garlic salt
- ½ T Onion powder
- ½ T Salt
- ¼ T Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Sprinkle with ¼ T Black pepper and ¼ T salt.
- Heat pan over medium, add half butter. Add chicken and saute for 10 minutes.
- Add the ham to the pan with the remaining butter and saute for a couple minutes. Add the chicken soup with milk, along with ¼ T salt and mix well to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Fill a lasagna pan with the chicken and ham mixture, then cover with Swiss cheese.
- Place tater tots in a single layer over the cheese. This part takes time, but just carefully line them up so the entire dish is covered.
- Place in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- That’s it, serve and enjoy!!!