My bacon cheddar polenta provides a healthy grain (corn) as a vessel for your next meal. The bacon flavor work perfectly with the cheddar, and create a smooth and velvety side.
Bacon Cheddar Polenta
- 1 cup Chicken stock
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/3 cup Cornmeal (polenta)
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese fresh grated works best
- 1/2 T Salt
- 1 TB Bacon Drippings
- Combine chicken broth and water into a sauce pot and bring to a slow boil.
- Slowly whisk in the cornmeal.
- Lower heat to medium and continue to whisk. It will start to thicken. Cook about 2-4 minutes.
- Once it starts coming together, add another ¼ cup of milk and whisk.
- As it thickens again, add the second ¼ cup of milk and whisk.
- Once it starts to thicken, remove from heat and add your salt, bacon drippings and cheddar cheese. Mix to combine.
- That’s it. The consistency should be a little loose. When you put a large scoop on your plate, it should spread and flatten a little (but shouldn't be soupy), as opposed to resembling mashed potatoes.
Calories: 179kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 1068mg | Potassium: 160mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 191IU | Calcium: 136mg | Iron: 1mg