Gingerbread is a flavor that doesn’t need to be limited to a cookie. I love making French toast during the weekend. This is a recipe that I came up with to combine the two together. I start with a dry, ginger-flavored bread so you have a sturdy base. Then, I dip in the egg bath and cook on the stove for a perfect holiday breakfast.
Gingerbread French Toast
Dry Bread Ingredients
- 2 ½ Cup Flour
- 2 T Baking powder
- ½ T Baking soda
- 1 TB Ground ginger
- ¼ T Salt
Wet Bread Ingredients
- 1 Cup Plain yogurt
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ Cup Vegetable oil
- ½ Cup Molasses
- 1/3 Cup Milk
- 3 Eggs
- ½ Cup Milk
- ¼ T Ground cinnamon
- ¼ T Ground ginger
- ¼ T Salt
- Maple syrup
Making the Bread
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift all dry ingredients together.
- Mix all wet ingredients together.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet mixture.
- Spray a loaf pan with oil spray, then pour in the batter. Bake for 35 – 45 minutes.
- Remove bread from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then remove from the loaf pan to a wire rack. Cool completely.
Making the French Toast
- Slice bread into 1 inch slices.
- Mix all Egg Bath ingredients in a bowl.
- Heat large pan over medium heat.
- Spray pan with cooking oil.
- Dip the French toast slice into the egg bath, both sides, and then place in the pan. Cook on each side for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove French toast to a plate and serve with butter and maple syrup.