This is a perfect any-time-of-the-year recipe that packs a bunch of flavor. While you can enjoy anytime, I really like this option during the winter. The Italian sausage and fresh mozzarella make the dish a hearty option. I tend to make a pasta dish for Christmas each year, and this would be a wonderful option.
Italian Sausage Pasta Bake
- 1 TB Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Links Italian sausage
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 2 ½ Cups Tomato sauce
- ½ T Onion powder
- 1 T Salt
- 1 TB Sugar
- 1 T Basil
- 1 T Oregano
- 2 TB Butter
- 12 Oz Pasta
- 1 Cup Fresh Mozzarella diced into bite-sized pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil.
- Use a sharp knife and cut the sausage into 1 inch sections.
- Add sausage to large pan over medium heat. Cook for 7-9 minutes, until the sausage begins to brown. Stir often so use can brown on several sides.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomato sauce, spices, sugar and salt. Mix well and cook for 10 minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking, add your rigatoni to the boiling water.
- Strain the pasta and return to the pot with the butter. Stir to coat.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and coat well.
- Pour the pasta and sauce into a lasagna tray, or any casserole dish.
- Add the mozzarella chunks, spreading evenly throughout the pasta.
- Place into the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the mozzarella is melted.
- Serve with parmesan!