I came up with this recipe after having chocolate covered orange slices. I loved the way the two worked together. I wanted to come up with a recipe showcasing the two flavors and is also on the healthier side. This is something you can enjoy for breakfast or dessert. Enjoy!
Chocolate Orange Quick Bread
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 TB Cocoa powder
- 1/2 T Baking soda
- 1 T Baking powder
- 1/4 Salt
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 TB Vegetable oil
- 4 Oz Applesauce unsweetened
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 T Vanilla extract
- 2 Oranges
- 1/4 T Ground cinnamon
- 1/2 T Vanilla
- 1 TB Corn Syrup
- 1 TB Water
- 1 Cup Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and baking powder into a large bowl.
- In a second bowl, combine the sugar, applesauce, vanilla, oil, egg, orange zest and orange juice. Mix well.
- Slowly mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Spray a bread loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan, then put in the oven and cook for 25-35 minutes. Check the doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center, if it comes out clean, you’re good (if there’s batter on the toothpick, back for another 2-4 minutes.)
- Remove bread from the oven and let cool in the pan for 5-8 minutes.
- Remove the loaf from the pan, by turning it upside down. Place loaf on a wire rack to continue cooling.
- Combine all frosting ingredients in a bowl.
- Slowly pour the frosting over the loaf. If it drizzles down the side, that works, I think it looks cool.
- That’s all! Slice into 1 inch potions and enjoy!