Barbecue turkey and lentils are easy and fairly healthy (minus the sugar from the barbecue sauce.) I say that it’s healthy because you're using a lean protein (ground turkey) and a natural grain (lentils) to make a tasty dish. The meal very quick to pull together, so makes an easy side for dinner. You could also make this on Sunday and pack up three portions for weekly lunches.
BBQ Turkey and Lentils
- ¾ Cup Lentils
- 1 lb. 93% Fat free ground turkey
- 1 TB Vegetable oil
- 1/3 Cup Ketchup
- 1/3 Cup Apple cider vinegar
- ¼ Cup Molasses
- ¼ Cup Water
- 1 TB Ground mustard
- ½ T Salt
- ¼ T Pepper
- ½ T Garlic powder
- ½ T Onion powder
- ¼ T Chili powder
- In a small bowl, add all ingredients except for turkey, lentils and oil. Mix to combine and set aside.
- Add lentils to a pot of water and boil for 25 minutes.
- Heat a large pan over medium. Add oil and heat for 2 minutes.
- Add ground turkey. Cook, breaking up with your utensil, for about 5-8 minutes, or until no longer pink.
- Drain lentils and add them to the turkey meat.
- Add the barbecue sauce mixture into the pan and cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- Package up for lunches or serve with soup and salad.