My lunchtime specials are meals that you can enjoy for lunch or dinner, but are a perfect option to take to work the next day. They're a little bit more creamy and homey than something you might just throw in the microwave at the office. Today I'm going to be doing a healthy meal using lentils and ground turkey. Trust me, this southwestern flavored dish will get you through the work day.
3/4 cup lentils
2 3/4 cup water
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 TB vegetable oil
1 lb 93/7 ground turkey meat
1/2 T onion powder
3/4 T garlic salt
1 TB chili powder
1 T oregano
1 T corn starch
1/4 T paprika
1/2 T salt
1 cup cilantro (stems and all)
1 clove garlic
2 TB white wine vinegar
1 1/2 TB water
1 TB sugar
1/2 Roasted poblano
4 TB grapeseed oil
1/2 T salt
- Add lentils and water to a pot and bring to a boil. Once the water boils, cover and reduce heat to low. You’re trying to get the lentils soft. The worst thing you can do is have under cooked lentils, it feels very gritty and sandy.
- Heat pan over medium then add oil.
- Add ground turkey cook until no longer pink, breaking up with your utensil.
- Once the turkey and lentils are done, add all other ingredients to the pan stir to incorporate. Let cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
That’s it! Serve with a cilantro oil!
You can make this the day before and portion it out into lunch sizes, and then take it to work with cilantro sauce on the side. Or you can always have this meal as a entree or side to another protein. It's low on carbs, so overall good for many different diets.
- Put all ingredients, other than the oil, into a small baking sheet (it can be a ceramic bowl, or anything that won't break or crack under high heat.)
- Pour oil into a pot over medium-high heat for 6 minutes or until the oil is just about smoking.
- Carefully remove the oil from the heat, and pour over your ingredients in the baking dish. Be careful! The ingredients will sizzle and bubble a little (my kids love this part, ranks up there with baking soda volcano and flambé.)
- Let ingredients rest/cook for 10 minutes until room temperature.
- Add all contents to a blender and puree until smooth, for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour contents of blender into a fine-mesh strainer to remove all the stems.
You're ready to serve enjoy!