The name grilled cheese has always confused me. The cheese isn’t grilled… not even the sandwich is, so why do we call it a grilled cheese? I kept obsessing about that question until I thought, “maybe I should actually let the recipe live up to the name.” That’s what led me to this true grilled cheese sandwich. The result, it is something so amazing, I don't think I'll ever cook it in a pan again.
Real Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 8 slices Bread good bread
- 5 slices American Cheese
- 3 TB Butter for spreading on bread
- Cut your Italian bread loaf into half-inch slices.
- Spread butter on one side of the bread and lay it on a plate, butter side down.
- Cover the bread with a piece of American cheese (going classic this time) and then top with another slice of Italian bread, spread butter on the top.
- Right before you put your grilled cheese sandwich on the grate, turn off the heat for that section. I do this because the first time I put the sandwich over the flame, the butter cause a huge flare up and really charred the bread.
- Lay the sandwich on the grate and cook for a couple minutes.
- Turn the burner back on and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Flip over and cook another 3 minutes. Make sure the bread is crispy and done before pulling off the grill.
- When you remove the sandwich from the grill, add salt.
- That's it! You've got a perfectly grilled cheese sandwich. I did mine with tomato soup on the side.