The first time I made homemade breakfast sausage I was shocked. It was otherworldly good! It was one of the best things I've ever made, and completely changed how I viewed breakfast sausage. Gone are the days when I bought the hockey-puck breakfast sausage from the grocery store. Today, I have flavorful and juicy breakfast sausage that is so easy to prepare and cheaper. Trust me, when you try this recipe you are going to be changed.
Homemade Breakfast Sausage
- 1 pound Pork
- 1 teaspoon Marjoram
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Sage
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, making sure that the spices are well incorporated into the pork.
- Take 1/3 of a cup of the mixture at a time and make into patties. I know because of the maple syrup, it can be difficult to form patties. Try your best and remember they don't have to be perfect circles, they're homemade, they're supposed to have a little character.
- Add patties to a cold pan and turn heat to medium. Two important points I will point out: you don’t need to add any oil to the pan before the sausage, and unlike the pre-made patties (which tell you to add water to the pan and cover to start cooking) you don’t need to do any of that.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes on each side, or until it is no longer pink inside.
- Serve with eggs and hash browns