Quinoa is a new favorite of mine, purely started for the health benefits. This recipe uses a few MIND Diet ingredients to provide a slightly healthier version of the original.
- 3 Turkey sausage links casing removed
- 1 Shallot diced fine
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 1 Cup White wine
- 2 1/2 Cups Chicken broth
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 Cups Kale chopped
- In a small pot, bring the water and broth to a simmer. This is the liquid you will continuously add to the rice, and you want it to be hot or else it will cool of the quinoa and slow the cooking.
- In a pan, heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat for a minute and then add the sausage. Cook the sausage until no longer pink, breaking up with your utensil. About 6-9 minutes.
- Remove the sausage to a dish and and set aside.
- Wipe the pan clean and add 1 TB of oil. Add shallot and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the Quinoa and and stir to coat in the oil. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add white wine and cook until it is absorbed, a couple minutes.
- Ladle 1/2 cup of the vegetable broth liquid into the quinoa. Let it simmer until the broth is absorbed, stirring often.Once the liquid is gone, add another 1/2 cup of broth. Keep repeating this process until you've used all of the broth. This process can take up to 20 minutes.
- Add kale and sausage to the pan with the last 1/2 cup of the liquid.
- Once the liquid has been absorbed, remove from heat and stir in the parmesan and butter.
- That's it! You're ready to enjoy a healthy risotto
Calories: 305kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 655mg | Potassium: 477mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 2895IU | Vitamin C: 41mg | Calcium: 188mg | Iron: 3mg