There is something that my family HAS to get when we go to the Ohio State Fair, corn dogs! We love the sweet cornbread shell and the convenience of serving it on a stick.
- 1 ½ cup Self rise corn meal mix
- ¾ Cup Milk
- 1 Egg
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 5 Hot dogs
- Oil for Frying
- Start by heating the oil to 350 degrees. I like to use peanut oil because it has a high smoking point, which helps your food not burn.
- Make the batter by combining all ingredients other than the hot dogs. I like using the corn bread mix because it already has the perfect balance.
- Take a wooden skewer, insert it through the hotdog and dip into the batter. Cover completely. The wooden skewer isn’t only for serving, it helps get an even golden color. When you put the hot dog in the oil, slowly twist the skewer between your fingers so that one side of the hot dog doesn’t face the bottom of the pot for too long. It's like cooking a marshmallow over a fire.
- When brown, about 3 minutes, remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve with yellow mustard and enjoy
Calories: 264kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 336mg | Potassium: 126mg | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 107IU | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 1mg