Homemade potato chips are a tricky thing to get right. If you cook them too long they get dark brown and have a burnt taste, but if you don't cook them enough they are flimsy. My trick is to bake them in the oven for a good 7 to 8 minutes before frying, just to get rid of some of the water.
- 4 Russet Potatoes
- Oil for Frying
- Heat oven and the frying oil to 325 degrees.
- Set the mandolin to the thinnest setting and shave the potatoes. You wanted to be paper thin. You can also use a knife, but it's hard to get them consistent and thin enough.
- Line the potato on a wire rack like shingles.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and put into the oil.
- Stir with a wooden spoon to make sure that one side doesn't get darker than the other.
- Fish them out of the oil and place onto a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with salt and enjoy.