Growing up I was never a fan of sweet potatoes. My mom would bake them all the time, and have a regular one just for me. I think I remember her saying, "wait until you have kids" (and now I cook 4 separate meals each night because my kids are picky eaters, so your voodoo magic worked mom, thanks.)
Now that I'm grown up, I love them. Whether I eat them with some brown sugar or use them in a soup, I enjoy the flavor. Today, I have a super side. One that you can cook and count as the veggie and starch. I hope you enjoy!
Sweet Potato Hash
- 2 Sweet potatoes
- 1 TB Olive oil
- 2 Cups Brussel sprouts shredded
- 1/3 lb. Ground pork
- 1 T Salt
- 1 T Grey poupon
- 1 Shallot chopped
- 2 TB Pecans chopped
- ¼ Cup Water
- 1 TB Maple syrup
- Heat large pan over medium.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and then dice into half-inch or 1 inch cubes.
- Add oil to large pan over medium heat. Heat for a couple minutes, then add the potatoes. Sprinkle with salt. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Add shallots and Brussel sprouts to the sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with salt. Cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove to a large bowl and wipe the pan clean with a paper towel.
- Add pork and cook until browned, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and Brussel sprouts to the pork and mix to combine.
- Add mustard, maple syrup, butter, water, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve with some chicken or turkey gravy and enjoy!