Lemon is a flavor that my family absolutely loves! Two of my kids routinely suck on lemons. Really, they don't wince at all, no reaction, it's like they're eating an orange. It makes my squirm every time. My lemon poppy seed quick bread is a healthier version since I swap out the oil for applesauce. It's one of those things I don't see that often, so I thought I would give it a try, and I'm thrilled with the results (and I hope you are too!)
Lemon Poppy Seed Quick Bread
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 T Baking powder
- 1/2 T Baking soda
- 4 oz Unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 Egg
- 2 Lemons zest and juice
- 1/2 T Vanilla
- 1 1/2 T Poppy seeds
- 1/2 T Vanilla
- 1 TB Corn Syrup
- 1 TB Water
- 1 Cup Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder into a large bowl.
- In a second bowl, combine the sugar, applesauce, vanilla, egg, lemon zest and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Slowly mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Add the poppy seeds and mix well.
- Spray a bread loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan, then put in the oven and cook from 25-35 minutes. Check the doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center, if it comes out clean, you’re good (if there’s batter on the toothpick, back for another 2-4 minutes.)
- Remove bread from the oven and let cool in the pan for 5-8 minutes.
- Remove the loaf from the pan, by turning it upside down. Place loaf on a wire rack to continue cooling.
- Combine all frosting ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- Slowly pour the frosting over the loaf. If it drizzles down the side, that works, I think it looks cool.
- That’s all! Slice into 1 inch potions and enjoy!