Today I'm bringing you a dutch oven BBQ recipe. In this recipe, I'm going with a Carolina style BBQ, because I love the mustardy tang that you get from the pork. I hope you enjoy.
Braised Carolina Pulled Pork
- 3 pound Boneless pork shoulder
- 1/2 cup BBQ rub
- 3 cups Chicken broth
- 1 TB Vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup Drippings
- 1 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup Yellow mustard
- 1/3 cup Ketchup
- 1/3 cup Brown sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Remove the pork from the package, rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut into 6 chunks and cover liberally with rub. Heat dutch oven (or other heavy bottom poto medium.
- Add oil and let heat for 2 minutes and then add the meat (the meat should sizzle when you add it.) Cook to get a nice crusty sear on the bottom, then continue to sear two more sides of the meat. you should be searing for a total of 10 minutes.
- Once the meat is seared, add water, chicken broth and apple juice to the pot. You don’t want the meat to be submerged, but 2/3 of it should be covered. Put the lid on and place it in the oven. Bake for 3 hours.
- Remove pork from the oven and use a slotted spoon to scoop out the meat. Place in a bowl and cover with foil.
- While the meat is resting, start the sauce. To get the drippings (the liquid in the dutch oven for the sauce, I strain with a fine mesh strainer, and then put that into a fat separator. If you don’t have a separator, you can also scoop the fat settling on the top of the drippings. The point is not to add a bunch of fat to the sauce, just flavor.
- Add the drippings, along with the rest of the sauce ingredients into a large pot and heat over medium high. Once the sauce starts to boil, turn the heat down to low and let reduce for about 30 minutes.
- Once the sauce is done, place pork on a cutting board (it should be cooled by now) and shred.
- Add the shredded meat to the sauce and mix to coat.
- That’s it! Serve over cole slaw or on a bun!
Calories: 702kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 83g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 204mg | Sodium: 1645mg | Potassium: 1908mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 18.3% | Vitamin C: 21.1% | Calcium: 38.2% | Iron: 83.2%