My lunchtime specials are meals that you can enjoy for lunch or dinner, but are a perfect option to take to work the next day. They're a little bit more creamy and homey than something you might just throw in the microwave. My brown rice lasagna is a little healthier than normal lasagna because you're using ground turkey meat and the brown rice, but it also tastes very rich because of the individual container of cottage cheese added at the end. I hope you enjoy!
Ingredients per serving:
1/3 cup rice
3/4 Cup water
1/4 Cup beef broth
3 cloves garlic
1/4 T onion powder
1 T Basil
1 T Oregano
1 pound 85/15 ground turkey meat
15 oz can of tomato sauce
2 T Extra virgin olive oil
1 TB Sugar
4 small individual serving sizes of cottage cheese
- Add rice, water and beef broth to a pot and bring to a boil. Once the water boils, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 25 minutes (add more water if necessary).
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium for 2 minutes.
- Add turkey meat and cook until no longer pink, breaking with your utensil.
- Add cooked rice to ground turkey.
- Add all ingredients to the turkey and rice mixture (except for the cottage cheese). Mix well to combine. Cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
For lunch, pack in a container and take an individual cottage cheese serving container along with you. At work, reheat for two to three minutes and then add the cottage cheese to your container which will give you that lasagna kind of feel. At home you can serve immediately covered with mozzarella cheese with a little cottage cheese on the side.