Ok, this recipe is near and dear to my heart. This right here, is classic Midwest. You probably won’t find it in a restaurant anywhere around here, but it’s what we’re eating. And everyone swears by a certain way of making it. My mom only uses SilverFleece sauerkraut. Every time you ask about the recipe, that's the one thing she hammers home. SilverFleece. I hear most people swearing by the kielbasa you get at the North Market in Columbus or at the West side market in Cleveland, but anything you can find at the supermarket will work.
The recipe is extremely easy, hope you enjoy.
1/3 Cup onion
3 14.5 oz cans of silver fleece sauerkraut
2 13 oz packs of kielbasa cut into 3 inch segments
1 TB brown sugar
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 TB oil
1/2 T pepper
- Add oil to heavy bottom pan (like a Dutch oven) over medium heat.
- Add the dice onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add pork chops and cook on each side for 3 minutes each.
- Add the sauerkraut and kielbasa segments.
- Add 1 teaspoon of brown sugar and chicken broth.
- Cover and bake in the oven for 2 hours.
Done! Again this one is easy, all you need is time.
The perfect side for this dish, my opinion (based on what we had growing up) would be mashed potatoes and baked beans.
And yes mom, I remembered SilverFleece.