While I have a lot of meals from my mom, there's one that makes me think of my dad. Chili. My dad was famous for his. It was his meal, that and fried kielbasa with wafer-thin potatoes, and maybe burgers, ok so he had a lot, but this was my fav. It's the perfect combination of meat and beans. His never used turkey, but I sub turkey in for everything. Trust me when I say, it is phenomenal.
My Dad’s Chili Recipe
- 1 ½ Tablespoon Vegetable oil
- ½ Medium onion
- 3/4 Bell pepper
- 1 ½ Pound Ground turkey
- ¼ Teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 1/2 TB Chili Powder
- 1/2 TB Ground Cumin plus 2 Teaspoons
- ¾ Cup Beer
- 16 ounce Chili beans I use mild, but you can do spicy
- 16 ounce Red kidney beans
- 14.5 ounce Diced tomatoes
- 15 oz Tomato sauce
- ¾ Teaspoon Salt
- Heat oil in heavy bottom pot, like Dutch oven, over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté for 7 minutes.
- Add meat and break up with utensil.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin. Stir to incorporate the spices.
- Add beer and simmer for 6 minutes to reduce.
- Add tomato sauce, all beans, remaining spices and salt to the pot and stir well.
- Cook chili for 30 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- That’s it! Serve in a bowl with some cheddar cheese.