A staple you'll find at the Ohio State Fair (they have a concession stand probably every 20 feet) is funnel cake!!! It is one of the best treats you could ever have! It's essentially a batter that's deep-fired to a crunchy, sugar-topped plate of joy.
1 1/3 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup powdered sugar
oil for frying
- Heat the oil for frying to 325 degrees
- Add the flour, milk, baking powder, salt and egg to a bowl and mix.
- Pour batter into a piping bag. If you don't have a piping bag, you can use anything that has a spout that allows you to get a consistent stream of batter.
- Squeeze the batter into the oil. You have to do a circular motion with your stream of batter, trying to create something that looks like a bird's nest. If you don't swirl or zig-zag, it will turn into a huge clump of fried dough (called a donut). You don't want to put too much batter in, you just want enough to make the nest stick to itself.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on one side.
- Gently flip the funnel cake over so it can cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove it to a wire rack and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Serve on a plate and let your friends and family enjoy.