Growing up, my mom would make an amazing pasta sauce. I would eat until I was on the verge of bursting. She still makes it today, but I have to fight for leftovers. So I came up with this recipe, which is a very close recreation of that meal. The only difference is that I substitute the ground beef with ground turkey (but you really can’t tell.) I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1/3 cup onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 pound ground turkey 85/15
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
29 oz. can tomato sauce
3/4 tablespoon of oregano
1 tablespoon of basil
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
- Add olive oil to a pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté for 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Add the turkey meat and break up with your wooden utensil. Cook until no longer pink, about 7 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and mix into the meat until no clumps of paste are left over. Cook for a couple minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, basil, oregano, sugar and salt. Stir to combine. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
The sauce will thicken similar to a Bolognese sauce and that's it!! Serve over buttered pasta and enjoy! Super simple supper!