Quinoa is a new favorite of mine, purely started for the health benefits. This recipe uses a few MIND Diet ingredients to provide a slightly healthier version of the original.
3 Turkey sausage links
3 Cloves of garlic
1 Cup of quinoa
1 Cup of white wine
2 1/2 Cups of vegetable or chicken broth
1 1/2 Cups of water
1 1/2 Tablespoon of Olive oil
2 Tablespoons of butter
1/2 Cup parmesan cheese
2 Cups kale
- Bring the water and vegetable broth to a simmer in a small pot.
- Do a fine dice on the shallot.
- Give the kale a rough chop.
- Remove the turkey sausage from the casing.
- In a pan, heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat for a minute and then add the sausage. Cook the sausage until no longer pink, breaking up with your utensil.
- Remove the sausage to a dish and and set aside.
- Wipe the pan clean and add 1 TB of oil. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the Quinoa and and stir to coat in the oil. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add white wine and cook until it is absorbed, a couple minutes.
- Ladle 1/2 cup of the vegetable broth liquid into the quinoa. Let it simmer until the broth is absorbed, stirring often.Once the liquid is gone, add another 1/2 cup of broth. Keep repeating this process until you've used all of the broth.
- Add kale and sausage to the pan with the last 1/2 cup of the liquid.
- Once the liquid has been absorbed, remove from heat and stir in the parmesan and butter.
That's it! You're ready to enjoy a healthy risotto!